Friday, December 9, 2011

Winter Window: Explaining a Spiritual Experience

By Brian Nixon
Special to ASSIST News Service


ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO (ANS) -- Recently I had a coworker share with me a beautiful spiritual experience that had occurred in his life. Apparently, he has been seeking the Lord with great fervency, asking for more and more fruit to come from his walk with Christ. Before he knew it he was in tears, overwhelmed by a sense of love and joy surrounding him. He felt as though God had engulfed him with His presence.

New Mexico fireplace and room
My co-worker came to me with two simple questions:

What happened to me? And what do I do now?

I shared with him a couple of my own experiences of pondering God’s goodness and His creation.

But his questions gave me to pause.

What do these deep and personal experiences mean in our lives? I thought.

I considered for a moment, looking out the window at the recent snows on the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Then it struck me, a mental picture of a possible explanation of how and why God uses epiphany-like experiences in our lives.

“Think of it this way,” I responded. “You are God’s child; He is your heavenly Father. Imagine yourself in a room with your Father. It’s warm and comfortable. But outside a recent snow has fallen, with new adventures calling for you to witness and apprehend: snow angels to make, snowmen to create, sleds to ride, and skis to sail.

“For you—the child—the reality that lies beyond these walls, doors, and windows is another world: one that creates excitement and fervency to experience.

Winter Window
by Alexander Volkov
“However, there’s a problem. You’re too small. You can’t see out the window or unlock the door to begin this new adventure.

“Watching you the whole time is your Father. He watches as you try to look out the window on tiptoes. He chuckles as you reach and reach and try to unlatch the door. He notices as you became frustrated.

“And He sees you as you look to Him, begging to experience the new world outside.

“‘Please, Daddy, let me see outside!’ you exclaim.
“With this, your Father smiles. He gently walks over to you, picking you up to see the new, wondrous world the snow has created outside.

“And with each snowflake that falls, He points out great and marvelous things. You can’t believe your eyes or ears!”

I looked at my coworker and said this may be what God does when we experience deep, spiritual events in our lives.

Our Father picks us up and gives us a glimpse of the joy, love, and profound nature of His world to come—of a life lived in His constant presence.
Boy looking out the window


We are like the child seeking to see the snow and to experience its wonder. However, as Christians, we’re not seeking snow. We’re seeking God, knocking on His door, calling His name. And God responds by lifting us up to show us His world; the promised world to come, where His kingdom will be established forever.

My coworker said, “I like that.”

I said, “So do I.”

“But,” he continued, “What do I do now that I’ve been lifted up to see God’s new world?”

Once again, I paused.

“Well, my friend,” I responded. “You keep asking, you keep knocking, you keep seeking. Then, when your day has come, He will unlock the door and let you experience the adventure forever. You will no longer need to look through a window, for that which you have sought will forever be your reality. You will be home.”

I pray the Lord will lift you up as you continue to pursue Him. Knock, seek, and ask this coming year! There’s an adventure awaiting you!

Brian Nixon is a writer, musician, minister, and family man. You may contact him atwww.briannixon.com

** You may republish this story with proper attribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment